Monday, July 10, 2006

A tribute to dads.

hey there guys,

I hope you guys are still avidly reading this blog. Because I'm gonna try and update it more often for your reading. I was sitting in the living room today, and my homestay brought back a couple of singaporean movies their relatives sent over from Singapore. I decided to join the crew and watch " I not stupid too ". To some of you ignorant people, I not stupid too is the sequel to I not stupid, a Singaporean movie directed by Jack Neo, one of Singapore's most acclaimed director and the movie reflects on Singaporeans and their complications in life.

Thinking that its gonna be like another movie that focusses mainly on kiasuism (is a generalised term used on singaporeans that are "scared to lose") ,I didnt expect much from the movie. Instead, the movie touched my heart and I started tearing out. And for all you insensitive guys out there, what the hell is wrong with tearing out?? The movie was outstanding, with amazingly good talents, and they were emotional all right.

The story reflects on 2 different scenarios. One, parents are wealthy, but they're forever commiting themselves on their social life and work. The children are negleted, and the parents do not recognise the talents at all.

Two, The father's an ex-con, thus not able to give the best to his son. However, Both sons( 15 yrs ol') from diff families are best friends, and they have the same thing in common, THEIR PARENTS DO NOT APPRECIATE THEIR TALENTS.

However, to cut things short, as the story progresses, both the sons from diff famillies started to be influenced to being "bad" due to the lack of attention and positive appraisals. The thing that really hit me is that, both the fathers were willing to give up their lives for their sons.
My homestay told me that I'll understand when I become a father, why do fathers sacrifice themselves just for their kids.

That was exactly what my dad said to me before I left. He told me that he loved me and he wanted the best for me, and that's why I had to go. I never stopped blaming him, for taking away my life, my social life and sending me to the ONE country I never wanted to visit till I was 55. But now as the story unfolds for me, I actually understand why the old man sent me this far. He wanted the best for me. He would work and work just to make sure I had enough food to eat, enough warm clothes to wear, and so that I have a place that's comfortable to stay while he shivers in cold, tired from a long day's work, and hungry.

I hope you're reading this dad. I miss you and I love you from the bottom of my heart. I miss kisses you give me every night when I was small, and all the jokes we make about other people as well. I miss having lunches with you at our regular stalls, where you'll let me have the last piece of chicken drumstick available because you knew I loved it. For that my old man, I love you a billion tim tams ;)

This entire post is a tribute to all dads in the world. Just a question when you're reading this post. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU KISSED AND HUGGED YOUR DAD? Ask yourself that mate, and don't repeat the same mistake I did and walk away.

2 comments:

Janning said...

hahha..this is gonna sound really stupid! but i actually teared reading your blog! what the. yea i did. lol. yea, watched i not stupid too bout a week ago too. it's a great movie. read my blog la u! haha. ok, u take care k! hugs! =) *thanks for making me tear! lol*

Louisa said...

Awh, I am so glad you realised how much Dad has done for the both of us. He's gone to great lengths for our education and the only way to 'pay him back' is by showing our best and excelling in it :) Good work boy. I'm very proud of you. You're growing into a fine young man :) I can only hope for the best for you as I love you very much and you are a good boy. Take care and Always remember that I am here for you no matter what. Lotsa Love, xoxo